Philip Shore Elementary is located in the heart of Ybor City, and is named after former school board member, Philip Shore.
Philipe Costa (translation- Philip Shore) came to America from Sicily in 1895 and settled in New York’s Little Italy. There, he sold vegetables for a while before moving to Port Tampa in 1898. Finding an opportunity to become a businessman in this new land of opportunity, he opened up his own grocery store. It did so well that within two years, he established the Philip Shore Shipping Company and moved it to the Port of Tampa. The man who had immigrated from Italy with only the clothes on his back had quickly become a well-established and well-respected businessman and had quickly entrenched himself in the life of the local community that he now lived in.
In 1917, Shore was appointed a position on the Hillsborough County School Board and began a crusade to get the children of Ybor City a free public education. He had noticed that many of the children were working in local factories rather than going to school. So, he spearheaded a campaign to build a local school to serve them. That school opened up in 1922 and became known as Philip Shore School. Today, as a magnet school for performing arts, Philip Shore serves students from all over the county but it is still committed to providing all children with a quality education.